[Gllug] Booting live cd .iso images from grub

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Feb 7 09:46:51 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

It only took me 2.5 years to get back to this question but as I am still
messing about with various laptop parts(and am close to editing a hard
drive for use in one) I figured I should ask.

How do you set up grub to boot .iso images?

I have seen it on one of the list members laptops and it was brilliant.
I recall(memory might be faulty here) that there is a special script
which does something to make the process work.

Having searched various areas of the net most commonly the answer has
been 'Nope can't be done.' Or, the information has been formed around
the idea of using the iso image to install the main system.

The idea here is that as the live cd images get updated you can then
just put the new image on your drive test it and keep or get rid of it.
Of course you can also have a variety of images set up for various
purposes.

If I have any of this wrong please guide me in the right direction it
does seem from my searches that a number of people are looking for this
sort of thing but are not progressing.

Happy regards,
Justin

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk