[Gllug] Just had an interesting call from Microsoft

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Jan 25 12:24:56 UTC 2008

No no no no no!

The correct method is as follows!

1) Remove the telephone earpiece from your ear.
2) Say "I'm very interested, please hold on while I get my credit card..."
3) Set the phone down and walk away (be sure they can hear you walk away)
4) Return quietly after a significant amount of time.
5) Check phone to see if:
5a) They are still on the line -> Return to Step 2 above and repeat as
necessary.
5b) They have hung up on you -> hang up the phone, mission accomplished.

Telemarketers make money by making huge numbers of phone calls and
selling to a very small percentage of these people.  If you hang up on
them immediately, there is no incentive for them to go find other work.
On the other hand, if you waste 10 minutes of their time, that hour is
completely shot for them and they won't make any money.  If enough of us
do this, then they should quit and go find honest work.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk