[Gllug] Files permission puzzle

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Wed Jan 2 22:12:07 UTC 2008

I have built a file system that is NFS root mounted, on the remote
machine I am root yet I cannot write to any of the files which are all
owned by "default" from the group "default".

When I try to change the ownership of the files I get "Operation not
permitted"

How does that work? I suppose I could change the permissions in the
directories on the server, but I am puzzled as to why, when this mounted
read-write (afaics) there seems to be a higher authority than root.

Incidentally /dev /sys /tmp and /proc are all correctly assigned to root

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk