[Gllug] Tweaking a 3Ware 9690SA system..

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 11:00:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 10:44 AM, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:

> It appears to be working. While testing a single stream of sequential
> data is useful to demonstrate that it is working, unless this is what
> you intend to use the device for, it is not instructive in the
> slightest. Test it in your real-life situation, or a simulation of it.

I am - or at least - the reason for doing these benchmarks is that the
performance the application isn't quite there yet.  It needs a higher
sustained rate to be able to do it's thing.

> Sorry to be flippant, but I see a lot of people wasting a lot of time on
> this sort of stuff quite regularly, and unless you are seeing very poor
> performace, it's largely not worth tinkering with these settings which
> in my experience have little effect compared to, say, adding one more
> disk. If you're that close to the wire, you bought the wrong thing; and
> besides, if you wanted performance you shouldn't have chosen parity RAID. :)

Performance matters if you're dealing with film and video - especially
when you want to do REALLY crazy stuff - which is 11 times out of 10.
 I do agree with you, RAID 5 is not a good choice for this sort of
thing, but I have certain specifications and limitations in which I
need to stick to.  Quite frankly, if it were up to me, we'd be using
Isilon kit which I know would do exactly what we want.

Regards,

Martyn
--
Skype  : mbdrake