[Gllug] [Terminally OT] Re: Oyster cards vulnerable?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 10:59:38 UTC 2008

[snip]
> I think we can all agree that waiting behind someone who is balancing
> their handbag on the reader in fourteen different orientations trying to
> get the gate to read the card through the handbag is what really
> irritates...

On a par with being behind someone using the fast checkout in Waitrose who
has to stop and think about every stage of the process.

The mark 2 terminals in Waitrose are a really nice example of developers
learning from the mark 1 and speeding just about every step.  I can easily
complete the whole checkout, even with a large load, in under 20 seconds.
Unless of course the woman in front (and I'm afraid it always is a woman)
is really surprised to discover that the machine wants her card, then
gives it back, then wants it again, then wants a PIN, etc.  Then she
stands in front of the machine slowly re-packing her handbag so no-one
else can use the machine until she's finished.

I think you should have to take a test to be allowed to attempt to use the
fast checkout.  Anyone taking more than 30 seconds should be banned until
they can get their act together.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk