[Gllug] Best soho office server option?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jan 11 17:03:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 04:55:33PM +0000, Ryan wrote:
> Jason Clifford wrote:
> > What is the best (and easiest to manage for someone with no sysadmin
> > skills) soho office server option these days?
> >
> > I know of ClarkConnect which I have a copy of here and it looks like it
> > will do the job but I'm interested to see if there are better options
> > available - bonus points if it's Debian based.
>
> I also can recommend SME-Server (was e-smith) it is CentOS based and the
> only issue I have is that to enable remote ssh you have to allow root
> logins(!). Well out of the box you do. You can of course fiddle with the
> ssh config and put it right. ;o)

One thing I have always liked about SME Server is the templating and
event-signalling system.  It is very easy to drop your own modifications
in without disturbing other add-ons or the core config and it encourages
you to package your modifications in a way which can be easily and
automatically replicated on other boxes.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.