[Gllug] Facilities for Free Open Source Beginners

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 21:29:10 UTC 2008

Hello,
   I have been trying to persuade my local council (Ealing) to think about
facilities for beginners wishing to learn about Free Open Source Software.
   There are plenty of facilities and courses for learning about a
proprietary system, but absolutely nothing for beginners wishing to learn
about Unix-compatible systems. I am not too concerned whether formal courses
or community facilities should be available first, but it appears that the
council is trying to restrict facilities to Microsoft Only at a single
location, Northolt Library.
   I believe that there may be plenty of room in the Hanwell Community
Centre which is an old school building with plenty of free car parking space
as well as nearby public transport, and that would appear ideal for a kind
of community computer club.
   Any suggestions gratefully received. If anyone in the area thinks that
facilities should be available please contact the council.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk