[Gllug] Humax PVR and linux

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jan 15 16:51:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 04:32:47PM +0000, michael norman wrote:
> Having had no success at all with various pc dvb cards I bought a Humax
> PVR-9200T which is IMHO an absolutely awesome device.

Good choice, I have one too and love it. It has a few quirks but it's pretty
reliable and the UI is better than many other freeview devices (such as the
god-awful thompson box that topup tv tout.

> What I'm now wondering is is there any way of getting the e-linker software to
> work with Linux ?

No, but I have managed to get the BIOS updater thing working in WINE. And
others have developed linux based solutions (separate from e-linker) to get
content off the Hummy.

Unfortunately the firmware in the hummy is somewhat buggy. AIUI if there is
a corruption when sending a file the hummy resends the whole file rather
than just the bit that was screwy. This means getting content off it (with
the linux tools or even the bundled e-linker) can be painful.

http://www.smop.co.uk/mediawiki/index.php/Humax_PVR

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk