[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Holger Duerer hduerer at gmx.net
Sat Jan 26 12:07:37 UTC 2008

    Martin> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
    >> Nix wrote:
    >>
    >>> There was another very important reason: it hugely improves
    >>> flow around ticket barriers if most people use Oyster, because
    >>> it takes a fraction of the time to validate the card as it
    >>> does to feed a ticket through.  (Normally about a fifth as
    >>> long.)
    >>>

    >> You've said this before, and you didn't produce any kind of
    >> evidence to support this statistic then.  Can you do so now?
    >>
    >> If anything, I think Oyster makes things faster, no ticket
    >> orientation problems, for a start.

    Martin> Oh, duh. I misread, sorry.  We are in fact agreeing
    Martin> mostly.  I think Oyster _is_ faster, but I wouldn't say
    Martin> you can get 5 Oysters through a barrier in the same time
    Martin> it takes one paper ticket user.

That's not what he said.  He said the scanning was 5 times as fast.
But I guess your misunderstanding shows how irrelevant that speed
improvement would be.  Even if the machine could scan a card in a
nanosecond the human being would still require the split second or so
to pass the gate.  And the mechanical gates are probably the slowest
thing in the system.

      Holger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk