[Gllug] Graphics cards/chips detailed specs - where are they?

F Andersen fendersan at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 20:25:42 UTC 2008

Ziya Suzen wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I recently bought an LCD monitor (Acer AL2416W -
> http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=661473).
> It is very good value for money since it can do 1920x1200... but my
> old on board Intel video (82865G) does not seem to be agreeing with
> it. The card can do 1920x1200 but not at a timing the monitor expects
> (card can do it @75Hz where as monitor only accepts 60Hz).
>
> So, I will have to buy a new card, but I don't want to be in the same
> situation again. I have been looking at manufacturers sites, googling
> and so on, for the cards I might buy, but there doesn't seem to be any
> decent site which would list detailed specifications of the chips or
> the card models. Do you know any? Or can anyone suggest a cheap
> graphics card that would work with this monitor (you might have the
> monitor, or you might know that your card can do 1920x1200 at 60Hz)
>
> (On the other hand I have to say I am quite ignorant about the details
> of graphics chips. Maybe new chips handle this timing differently... I
> don't know...)
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> --Ziya

I have an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 that seems to support this
resolution/frequency, although my monitor can't. I think I paid around
£40 but the price must have gone down since.

My LCD monitor's resolution is 1440 x 900. I had trouble getting this
resolution to work in Windows initially, but downloaded Nvidia's
Forceware and that fixed it. I never got round to configuring this
resolution under Linux. Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm using Linux From Scratch 5.1, with XFree86-4.4.0 and the propietary
Nvidia driver (1.0).

Thanks
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk