[Gllug] Open Source for beginners

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 18:44:47 UTC 2008

On Fri 25 Jan, paul wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 22:20 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    I am trying to convince the local council that they should provide help
> > with OSS as well as M$. They provide a range of courses aimed to teach users
> > how to use M$ mouse buttons, but little else. I do not care whether initial
> > help is in the form of formal courses or simply help towards a user group,
> > but if they can provide help for a commercial enterprise which ought to
> > provide its own tuition from the fees charged, then they should do at least
> > the same for FOSS.
>

> Do you mean help or direct provision? The latter is less likely but

   Really either or even both. I think that both formal teaching and some
kind of computer club using FOSS could generate interest in the other. I
would be happy to set up a local user group, and I think there may be space
available in the Hanwell Community Centre, an old school that the locals
convinced the council should be retained, if the council are willing to
help. There are plenty of qualified users around, but I do not consider my
qualifications suitable for running more than a beginners course.

> there are certainly examples I know of councils cooperating with, and
> possibly funding*, third parties that promote FOSS and/or provide FOSS
> based training. I was getting paid for a while to teach similar courses
> at a Learndirect centre, entirely on Linux/FOSS software. This was
> funded by central government, but indirectly via grants which we were
> then subcontracting for, essentially (as a voluntary sector group). I've
> taught higher level courses at arts organisations as well, but again any
> direct funding likely came for outside though their may have been local
> government support for the organisation itself.
>
> You can find details of the current projects of the groups I worked with
> here: http://www.bristolwireless.net/wiki/index.php/Projects
> They were also a partner in the Connecting Bristol project (lead by
> Bristol City Council) -- a top ten finalist in the Government's Digital
> Challenge project.

   Thanks, that is the sort of information I need.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk