[Gllug] Best soho office server option?

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Fri Jan 11 22:23:55 UTC 2008

Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> I also can recommend SME-Server (was e-smith) it is CentOS based and the
> only issue I have is that to enable remote ssh you have to allow root
> logins(!)

?

I don't think so. What I do is create a user for ssh logins and give
them a minimal login shell. Then su to root. No need to have root ssh
login enabled.

> That said - pretty much anything that needs doing can be done via the
> web interface and it all works pretty much seamlessly.

Agreed. But the templating system also has the vices of its virtues. It
means that the text configuration files are no longer canonical.

Not a problem if what is in the box suits.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk