[Gllug] upgrading to new laptop - tricks and tips to copy everything I need accross

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:30:36 UTC 2008

On 18/01/2008, ccooke <ccooke-gllug at gkhs.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:25:46PM +0000, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > So I have my new HP 6715b laptop (with 100 quid cashback if I manage
> > to send the proof of purchase to HP this week) and got high-res X and
> > wifi working on it after a little googling and tinkering.
> >
> > Now I'm looking at moving to it for my work - that means installing 3
> > years worth of obscure libraries used for work, passwords stored in
> > mozilla that I've forgotten, ssh keys, rpms and perl modules.
>
> Generally, it's a *hell* of a lot easier to do the package moves in
> Debian-based distros ( 'dpkg --get-selections | ssh root at newbox dpkg
> --set-selections; ssh root at newbox dselect install'). I've written a few
> scripts to do the same for RHES, but you're often stuck because backages
> have been installed from a third party which is no longer available - or
> forgotten.

For some perverse reasons I'm now more familiar with different parts
of each distro so have no idea how to do that with fedora - hopefully
somebody on the fedora-lists will have solved this problem.

> Rsyncing /home, though, is an obvious start for almost all settings ;-)

I was thinking along those lines, but hoping to preserve less of
digital lint that's been accumulating :)

> > Anybody done this in the past and found any handy tips and tricks -
> > like copying saved passwords, cookies, etc in firefox or getting a
> > useful list of rpms that can be installed on a newer version of the
> > same distro?
> >
> > I suspect I'll have to copy my bookmarks, cpan bundle and ssh keys,
> > and then copy anything I've missed accross as I go.
>
> One thing that would really help is mentioning which distro you're
> using...

Fedora (old laptop is FC3 new is F8)

A.

--