[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Jan 25 23:35:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:24:39PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 03:02:35PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> > > Not as it's proposed!  Livingstone's plan to make Oyster a "payment
> > > card" depends on RF-based credit transfer.  It's a scarily stupid idea.
> >
> > I think you are conflating his proposals and the Barclaycard ones.
>
> There has to be some reason why paper tickets suddenly became so
> expensive.  It's not because paper itself is more expensive than the
> fancy cards.  It can't be because of the cost of hauling cash around
> (people still pay for their Oyster top-ups using cash).

They delibrately made the paper tickets more expensive to "force"
people to switch to Oyster so they could then track you ;-) Clearly
the solution to this is to get together with a group of friends, all
buy month long oyster tickets & then randomly use a different one
each day. At least it'll screw up their profiling :-)

Dan.