[Gllug] exim segfault puzzle

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Jan 5 16:17:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:36:02PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> > Final proof that whoever maintains Debian exim4 is smoking something
> > very potent:
> >
> >   If you decide to ignore this advice and to use this script anyway,
> >   setting the environment variable CONVERT4R4 to the value
> >   "I understand this is an unsupported tool"
> >   will allow you to run the script. If you find bugs, you get to keep
> >   the pieces. Please do not file bugs against this script in the Debian
> >   BTS without providing a patch fixing the bugs, and please do not
> >   expect the upstream exim-users mailing list to answer questions.
>
> I interpret this is as "we think you're smoking crack if you use this
> tool, so we're going to make things a tiny bit inconvenient for you to
> do so."
>
> You are almost certainly making a mistake by using this tool, you're
> much better off taking the time to learn exim4 instead.  It's not that
> difficult.

Yeah, I was kind of reaching the end of my tether trying to make exim4
work on Debian, and the above comment when I tried to run the
Exim-supplied "convert4r4" script just pushed me over the edge.  I now
finally have it working after building a custom exim4.conf file and
using convert4r4 on selected sections of my old exim config which I
just couldn't work out how to convert over (even reading the exim
documentation didn't help much, but the supposedly broken script seems
to have done the job).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones