[Gllug] Just had an interesting call from Microsoft

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 12:18:01 UTC 2008

On 25/01/2008, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> I just had a call from someone called Jim Duggan claiming to be from
> Microsoft

Part of an induction programme I used to give involved dealing with
persistant salesdrones :

 (1) Remove the telephone earpiece from your ear. If you can't hear
      them, they can't communicate with you.
 (2) Say "I'm going to stop you there. Thanks. Bye"
 (3) Put the phone down.

We made the very fresh gradutes/interns practice this. It's surprising
how many people are unwilling to end a telephone conversation without
the relevant linguistic props from the caller, or feel duty bound to explain
themselves.

Tid
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk