[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

F Andersen fendersan at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 11:24:25 UTC 2008

Chris Bell wrote:
>    I think it depends on the gate. Some appear to be set to catch two people
> running through very close together, others allow large hand baggage through
> without problems. If the next person follows too close behind, they may need
> to back out and try again.

I get the feeling there's some kind of motion sensor just behind the
gate. If you stand close to the gate while swiping your card, the gate
won't open. When my oyster doesn't let me through, I've often been told
by tube workers to step away back from the gates and try again, and this
fixes it.

Perhaps this is to stop two people going through as the first person
would stand close to the gates.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk