[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Sat Jan 26 11:20:11 UTC 2008

Tethys wrote:

> With a
> paper ticket, you could walk through the barriers without breaking stride.
> With Oyster, you have to stop and wait for the card to be recognised.

I find that I can walk through a barrier without breaking stride using
Oyster these days, though it wasn't the case when they first came out.
I wonder if the speed is somewhat station dependent, a latency factor
back to the server?  It also wasn't the case for a few months after I
sat on my card wrong and bent it in the middle...

> Watching people wave their Oyster card repeatedly
> over the reader in a vain attempt to get it to scan

Is there some technical/physical reason why wiggling and waving the card
ought to make it easier to scan, rather than just holding it still on
the scanner?

Rob

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk