[Gllug] Facilities for Free Open Source Beginners

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 19:07:28 UTC 2008

On Thu 17 Jan, Riq wrote:

> There are huge numbers of people who want to
>
> do email
> browse the Internet
> do simple word processing
>
> and do not want to know about constant updates, viruses, or any
> technicalities whatsoever.
>
> Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and Linux do this pretty well, but we
> need to get the message across.
> That means courses at the elementary level as well as suppliers who will
> deliver such systems.
> Teachers at adult education establishments need to realise this need,
> and not limit themselves to what the job market
> may expect.

   That is part of what I would like to see, with the addition of at least
elementary level help at installation and configuration for anyone wishing
to start. If this can be shown to work in one local area I think the idea
could be taken up elsewhere.
   One of my local councillors denies all knowledge of computers, another
has not yet replied to my email, one who is aware of the topic spent an hour
avoiding the subject when I met him, the person I spoke to at Ealing Adult
Learning claims to have not heard of anything other than Microsoft, but is
willing to read my email about FOSS, while the person dealing with clubs and
societies has yet to reply.
   I am not asking for the latest and greatest hardware and facilities, but
I expect to deal with security and safety requirements.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk