[Gllug] Connecting a second Ethernet link (1 Gbps) between two servers

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Jan 20 18:53:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 18:23 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> What's the most sensible way to do it?  My first thought is simply to
> give each end of the new connection a new IP address, but then I foresee
> endless fiddling to make sure that when one accesses the other it uses
> the right address for the fast connection.

John, that will be just fine.

Just make sure that the gigabit interfaces on each server are on a
different subnet.
You can either narrow your current subnet mask (Google for 'subnet
calculator') and assign IP addresses in a higher range to the two
gigabit ethernet interfaces.
Or just make life easy, and choose a completely new subnet, say
172.16.1.XXX   Or .2 or .3 or whatever.

Obviously, check with ethtool that the interfaces are coming up with
gigabit full duplex (and why wouldn't they?) and put relevant entries in
your /etc/hosts.
Maybe something like  existinghostname-g

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk