[Gllug] Apache2 mod_rewrite not passing all characters

Gundemarie Scholz spamyousilly at inbox.ru
Thu Jan 24 18:27:23 UTC 2008

Simon Perry wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are seeing some strange behavior with mod_rewrite not passing the
> whole of the captured string.
>
> The URL
>
> domain.com/Es-spain/A+Coru%D1a/
>
> which we capture with
>
> ([^/]*)/([^/]*) handler.php?area=$1&resort=$2
>
> However when we dump the GET arguments from handler.php the second
> argument is passed as "A Corua" not A CoruÑa (Capital N with a tilde
> above is missing).
>
> To make things stranger special characters whose code starts with a
> number not a letter are passed correctly.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

In your httpd.conf place the following two lines where log formats and
locations are defined, and adjust the path accordingly:

RewriteLog logs/rewrite.log
RewriteLogLevel 9

The change requires a restart of Apache. The log should give you some
output to work with as it shows you what parameter gets read and
interpreted in what way. Careful, it is very verbose, so I wouldn't
leave it switched on for long.

Regards,
Gunde

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk