[Gllug] Poor man's SAN - CLVM vs. AoE/OCFS2

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 28 18:30:51 UTC 2008

Hi people.

I'm trying to setup a virtual test environment on my PC, and I'd like
to build some virtualisation into the storage design. There are some
constraints (as usual):

- Because the host is Windows and it's not very flexible, I'll use
Linux as an intermediary/gateway to the storage. Storage will traverse
the (virtual) network so I'm not limited by the number of virtual IDE
slots my virtualisation system (VirtualBox/qemu) allows me.

- Resliance/backup of my "SAN" isn't an issue becuase there's only one
spindle anyway; so backups will have to be offline (bring the whole
network down).

- Using shared/pooled storage is the goal in this case; allowing n-way
read/write access to data across many (virtual) machines.

- Speed isn't a huge issue for me (in case you hadn't noticed); but
clawing any overhead back would be nice.

- I only tripped over CLVM today while Googling for OCFS2/AoE HOWTOs/references.

Can anyone share their experiences using CLVM vs. AoE (or
NBD/iSCSI/etc.) and OCFS2?

Thanks,

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk