[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (London)

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Jul 10 12:43:16 UTC 2008

On Thu Jul 10  7:16 , "Josef Assad"  sent:

>On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
>> james writes:
>>>I can't stipulate a base salary figure on offer as (from a recruiters
>>>perspective) this is never fixed but instead based on individual merit -
>>>taking into considering factors such as a candidate's current salary,
>>>their skills and experience
>
>> salary? What possible relevance does that have? Pay the going rate
>> for the role and the level of experience. What someone is being paid
>> for a different role at another company really has no bearing on the
>> matter.
>
>While I think Caroline is mostly right, I nevertheless agree that
>compensating someone wholly or partially on their current income level
>is completely obnoxious.

While I would not use the term obnoxious, I would say it is completely unfounded.
 I went directly from earning 25k / year to earning 75k / year when I went out
and changed my skill set, company, and location.  Yes I went from a small city to
a major city but my cost of living did not increase three fold.  While rent
doubled, most other expenses were about the same (+- 10%).  It really does depend
on your individual circumstances and what the business is willing to pay.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk