[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (London)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 10 18:06:57 UTC 2008

On 10 Jul 2008, at 07:16, Josef Assad wrote:
[...]
> While I think Caroline is mostly right, I nevertheless agree that
> compensating someone wholly or partially on their current income level
> is completely obnoxious.

This is especially if it's done without regard to any other benefits
that go with the job.

A while back I interviewed at a firm. We were a very good fit for each
other and the job was in the bag, so we got down to business, talking
about money. Their offer was "current salary plus two grand" which is
a fairly typical gambit.

What they had failed to note was that the existing job was going to
give me a two grand rise in a few weeks anyway, had shorter hours,
longer holidays, and wasn't such an annoying commute. What they had
actually effectively offered worked out as a 10% paycut, even assuming
the hours were as stated despite hints of an overtime culture.

I eventually managed to negotiate it up to a mere 3% paycut, before
calling it a day and wishing them the best of look in their search.
Given I still get occasional calls from agencies about the same role,
I guess they're not lucky people.

(In fact, there now seem to be at least *four* dodgy unfillable roles
out there that the agents think I might be daft enough to take, given
I'm called about them periodically. The derisory salary gets more
laughable each time.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk