[Gllug] Vacancy: Linux Sysadmin, Desktop Sysadmin, MySQL DBA etc (LONDON)

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 11:24:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:14:23AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > Now that Linux has become a mainstream technology, with
> > certifications and commercial support and the rest, people do
> > not need to join LUGs to find out about it and groups like GLLUG
> > risk fading back to mere hobbyist circles again (if this hasn't
> > already happened.)  I can't think of a better way to speed that
> > along than to be needlessly hostile to people offering jobs.
>
> well said
>
> While I welcome the shared knowledge regarding salary expectations - I
> am completely bemused at the vitriol that always follows a job posting.
>
> Anyone reading email is well practiced in the art of the delete key...

I'm sorry but are you seriously suggesting that it is OK for
agencies to post CV trolls to this mailing list?  "Just Hit Delete"
will *not* work if every IT recruitment agency in the UK is sending
one of those per week (or day).  Which is what *will* happen unless
it is clearly stated as unacceptable.

> In theory a separate list sounds like a good idea - but I can't see
> enough people subscribing to make it successful.

One already exists and there's loads of people on it.  It also
doesn't tolerate CV trolling expeditions.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB