[Gllug] RHEL Virtualisation Puzzle

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 09:44:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have an x86_64 RHEL 5 update 2 machine, subscribed to the
virtualisation channel.  I installed a 32 bit Centos 5 guest over
http, using virt-install.

I'm slightly confused by conflicting information.  The Redhat
documentation (Virtualisation Guide 5.2) indicates quite clearly that
I cannot run a paravirtualised i686 guest on an x86_64 platform.  It
also indicates, and I have read elsewhere, that to install a fully
virtualised system I need to boot from installation media.  I
categorically didn't boot off a CD/DVS or an ISO on the filesystem.  I
just used virt-install, and pointed it at my rpm repository.  I don't
recall whether I specified the -p flag, but I think the default is
paravirtualisation, isn't it?

I don't have access to the machine for a few days but my mind is
puzzled.  Is it likely that my 32 bit domain is paravirtualised?  And
if so, is the Redhat documentation out of date?  Or is it HVM?  In
which case, is the Redhat documentation incorrect?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk