[Gllug] Flat rsync

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jul 10 16:40:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday, 10 Jul 2008, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>I want to rsync all the files from that filesystem to a machine
>somewhere else, but on the destination machne all I want is all the
>files in one place - I don't want to replicate the directory structure
>- just all the files.
>Any ideas how best to do this?

On the source, use "find -type f -print0" piped into "xargs -0 ln -s
..." to make a single directory with symlinks in to all the
files. Then use rsync --copy-unsafe-links on that directory.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Sunday, Presuary - a weekend.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk