[Gllug] Visio style Technical Drawing Editor

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Mon Jul 14 10:22:52 UTC 2008

On 14/7/08 11:07, "Iain M Conochie" <iain at shihad.org> wrote:

> I have a need to draw a network diagram and was wondering if anyone
> had any good suggestions for a technical drawing program under linux. I
> do not really need anything that feature rich, but obviously the ability
> to export to JPEG / PNG / GIF would be great.

I've been using dia ( http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/ ) very successfully
for a year or so. It also has the advantage that it is in the repositories
of most linux distributions.

It seems to offer every sort of drawing block and line imaginable and while
the whole thing isn't as polished as visio, it works very well.

There are some weird things on the windows version if you're planning to
share it with windows people, however - it seems to draw the lines wrong,
although this is probably some strange gtk inconsistency. I just send PNGs
where appropriate.

Of course if you're on kde and don't want to spoil your system with gtk
apps, you might consider something like Umbrello, which I disliked but have
heard is excellent.

Cheers,
--James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk