[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support for Unit.tv

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Jul 4 14:03:16 UTC 2008

Paul Lee wrote:
> I can't help but feel that posting very low salaries for Linux system
> administration roles is a kind of veiled racism/ageism.
>
> What the employer is saying is that they don't have a viable business
> model so they are in some hoping to be subsidised by taking on people
> from overseas who can be expected to work for less money.

I think you may be mixing up cause and effect here and making a
dangerous assumption there.

The fact that - in your experience - the people who apply for/take jobs
at the lower end of the salary scale are not indigenous or are under a
certain age does not mean the employers are looking to attract those
same people by offering said salaries. The only legitimate conclusion
we can draw from such an advert is how much that employer is prepared
to pay for that role. There are many reasons why an employer will offer
a particular salary.

There are also many reasons why people choose to go for a lower salary.
I am aware of several IT workers (including a couple of sysadmins) who
switched from a non-IT field and spent some time in a lower paid job
in order to increase the field experience side of their CV.

cheers
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss