[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support for Unit.tv

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Jul 4 08:44:51 UTC 2008

Martyn Drake wrote:
>> He's gone to the trouble of posting a relevant job advert that adheres
>> to our posting guidelines.  If you don't think the salary is high
>> enough, fine, don't apply, but whining about it on the list is entirely
>> offtopic.
>>

> Indeed he did, but I'm afraid II don't share your opinion that the
> level of salary on offer is offtopic - given that many people here,
> like me, built my career from Linux systems administration, the salary
> offered by companies who post their job adverts here is very relevant.
>  Especially recently when I was made redundant and was looking for a
> new job.

Yes, we're mostly not disagreeing here.  I too think he'll get only a
few people interested in the job at that salary level, but that's _his_
choice.  As other people have said, the better approach is to give a
range "£x to £y, depending on skills and experience".   OTOH, if his
budget is £x and that's really all he wants to pay, no amount of
outraged complaints is going to make him change his mind.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk