[Gllug] shell quoting problem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 21:58:42 UTC 2008

On 3 Jul 2008, tethys at gmail.com stated:

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> locate -0 "John Smith" | xargs -0r ls -l
>
> Oooohhh. xargs -r. Very handy. When did that appear? I've been using
> /dev/null since the dawn of time, so I didn't realise there was a less
> kludgy way of doing it now.

-r has been in GNU findutils for so very long that it's not mentioned in
the NEWS. It's certainly been there since the mid-1990s. (The
version-control tree didn't start until much more recent times, so
that's no use.)

Just another reason to say NO to non-GNU xargs/find/locate. :)

--
`If you are having a "ua luea luea le ua le" kind of day, I can only
 assume that you are doing no work due [to] incapacitating nausea caused
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk