[Gllug] Is_Talktalk_linux-friendly

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:30:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Ryan Cartwright <ryan at crimperman.org> wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
>> Don Williams wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>      I happily run Debian Etch on an HP Pavilion desktop PC and currently
>>> connect to the web through a Belkin router and a very efficient, yet a
>>> bit pricey, Demon service.
>>>      I welcome and appreciate in advance any and all advice on this subject
>>> from GLLUGers.
>>
>> Any ADSL service should work with any operating system, with the proviso
>> that some providers merely give you a USB-connected box which *might*
>> work only with Windows.
>
> AOL is unlikely to work with Linux because it requires on the Windows
> software to connect you. That is unless something has changed since the
> last time I had to help somebody else using it (a while back).

AOL works perfectly fine with Linux, it is just a run of the mill ADSL
connection, you just need to request the necessary information to set
up your router manually (an UID and a password).

I got free weekend and evening calls, broadband  (I don't care how
fast as long as it is not below 1Mbps, I think it is nominally 8 but
not sure about this) and a free laptop all for a very competitive
price. I have downloaded multiple distros, upgraded 3 Ubuntu machines
twice and subscribe to a good amount of podcasts and other stuff
without a hint of a problem. Since I am not setting up a server farm
in my bedroom I really don't need much support, as long as the thing
is working I don't really care much who is the provider.

I have been with them for 4 months now without any issue whatsoever.

If Talk-Talk covers the needs of somebody I think that person should
not be so thoroughly discouraged not to use this provider, after all
with the difficult economic times it may become a priority to save
some money here and there if one's connectivity needs are not too
demanding.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk