[Gllug] wifi help

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Jul 6 07:24:08 UTC 2008

I have a friend about 50 meters away and in a line of sight. He has
some generic ADSL wifi modem. I can't see his wifi. It's not practical
to put a repeater between us.

To get wifi, my plan is

* plug a wifi bridge A in to one of the ethernet ports on his ADSL
wifi modem and
* put another bridge B at my house, and plug the ethernet in to my
computer
* put directional antennas on both and point them at each other

If that works, then I'd buy another bridge C and plug that via
ethernet in to B and now have the wifi daisy chained. I'd set C and B
on different channels. I think.

I could then use my laptop which talks wifi to C which talks ethernet
to B which talks wifi to A which talked ethernet to the ADSL wifi
modem like this:

Laptop )))   ((( Bridge C <----> Bridge B )))   ((( Bridge A <--->
ADSL modem

Basically, I just want to be able to use my friends network with off
the shelf bits. Does this method make sense? Is there a better way?
I've been googling without a whole lot of luck.

Best

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk