[Gllug] Editing .wav of vinyl record into tracks

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Jul 10 12:03:34 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008, John Winters wrote:
> I'm trying to copy some of my old vinyl records to a digital form and
> find to my surprise that not only do they not have a digital ID, they're
> not even split into tracks.
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple tool to chop a .wav of a vinyl record into
> individual tracks?

I've tried gramophile with some success, but it chokes if the vinyl is too
noisy, or the tracks are too close together or have quiet sections or
silences. The only tool I've found up to the job is a real person using
Audacity. You can usually see where the track boundaries are approximately
and I copy out the chunks overlapping the preceding and following track. Then
I clean up each individual track. Don't do noise reduction or click removal
on the entire album - do it a track at a time since the noise profile changes
significantly through the length of the record and the results become
distorted if you try to do too much at once.

Dylan

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk