[Gllug] Corrupt directory

Wed Jul 16 19:28:51 UTC 2008

/var/lib/gdm/.gvfs entry in directory is corrupt. How can I fix/remove it?

Working with a newly installed OpenSuSE Linux 11.0 (Gnome). The
distribution (Gnome) download sets up gvfs but somehow this file won't
play nicely (don't know if is part of the download, created at
install/config time, or created at run-time). The SuSE wiki suggests the
problem can be solved by re-installing the gvfs software from an update
server, but that still leaves the corruption.

Nautilus won't list the file. At the command line, it is listed but only
the fileNM and the "d" for directory is sensible, everything else is
described with question marks (access, owner, group, dates...). rmdir
won't shift it. rm responds with: it's a directory...

Is there some other means of a surgical strike?
Should it be a file or a directory, and can I just create an empty one
and happily get on with things?

Please advise,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk