[Gllug] Flat rsync

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 07:08:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Andrew Farnsworth
<farnsaw at stonedoor.com> wrote:
> I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it is a problem at work
> and I am looking for help.
>
> Under windows, I have a 25 Gb directory that contains millions of small
> files to the point where it actually uses 96 Gb of disk space (due to
> block / cluster size issues).  I need to transfer this to another server
> and windows copy takes ages (it was running for 3 days before some
> mo.... err support tech killed the session)  Now I am looking for faster
> alternatives.  I have tried taring up the directory but the sheer size
> of it is killing tar.  Would rsync work under windows? and would it
> maintain windows permissions?
>
> Thanks in advance for not trashing me too much on this.  It is work and
> we are required to use windows.  On the other hand, all our web / app /
> database server are running linux.
>
> Andy

Is the copy to another Windows machine?

If it is, your posting would frankly be out of topic, I don't mean
this as a preposterous flaming, I personally  have no experience with
Windows having not worked with it at all for the past 10 years. Gut
feeling tells me that you could find better expertise elsewhere (real
Windows gurus come up with very clever things born out of familiarity
with it).

Something that may work better in general is to move the disk to the
target machine and do a shadow copy with duplication software (dd or
dump in Linux :-) ), that way you would at least skip the network part
of the whole thing.

<snip>
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk