[Gllug] How does RhythmBox do it?

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Jul 3 19:34:19 UTC 2008

On Thu Jul  3 20:21 , John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> sent:
>Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
>> On Thu Jul  3 17:32 , John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk> sent:
>>
>>> I just used mplayer to suck a program off the Radio7 web site that I
>>> wanted to listen to (Tony Hancock's "Blood Donor" episode).  I then
>>> processed it again with mplayer to turn it into a .wav file and
>>> processed that with oggenc to create a .ogg file.
>>>
>>> Then I opened it with RhythmBox to play it.  It all worked fine, but the
>>> bit I can't work out is how RhythmBox also managed to show me a picture
>>> of Tony Hancock - it looks like an album cover matching the recording.
>>>
>>> Do all these different formats include space for an image?
>> John,
>>   The formats do not contain space for an image, but they do
>>   contain space for Album Name, Artist Name, etc and Rythymbox will
>>   use that info to lookup and download the album art.
>
>Curiously, RhythmBox seems to have none of that information.  When it
>opens the file it shows all of these as "Unknown", but it still has the
>cover image.
>
>I'm not sure you have the correct explanation.

John,
  How very strange... I guess it could profile the song or possibly this
information or something like it is stored someplace in the file, possibly a CDDB
or FreeDB (?) reference id is stored.  Not sure what else it could be or even how
as it was bounced through several difference programs... I wonder if there is a
field for cover art URL in there someplace.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk