[Gllug] Guardian says Firefox is rubbish

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 23:35:59 UTC 2008

--------

Nix writes:

>Um, `cp -a .mozilla .mozilla-old' first?

Had it occurred to me it might be necessary, perhaps I would have
done. But sadly it didn't. I wasn't expecting brokenness of that
magnitude.

>The *right* thing to do is to have versioned .mozilla-... directories
>and have FF make a new one when it needs to, but let's face it: no
>*other* Unix programs do that

Errr.... gimp does. As does gstreamer. And hell, even OO.o manages
to get it right in that regard. But not firefox.

>Konqueror would beg to differ, as would WebKit (which is of course
>KHTML+KJS-Qt, thus Konqueror in a different suit and without most of
>the really cool embeddability).

Tried it, hated it. When it can render things properly[1], I might
consider it again. I might give the latest version another whirl
to see how much its improved now that Apple have had to make it
work for the masses. But certainly the last time I tried it, it
just wasn't acceptable for every day use.

Tet

[1] Not that it's alone in that regard. Gecko's inability to render
    "display: inline-block" was logged as a bug in 1999, and only
    closed late last year. It's not even as if inline-block is a
    nice-to-have feature. It's *essential* for any semi-complex
    layouts without resorting to tables.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk