[Gllug] Hard Drive Help (Running Linux)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 19:20:18 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 13:13, Ben Whyte wrote:
> Hi
>
> Guys wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.  I seem to be
> having a problem with my hard disk and I think its hardware related.
>
> Every now and again when it tries to do something, reading or writing
> the drive starts to click the machine becomes very heavily loaded and in
> the end i have to reboot the machine.  This is happening fairly often now.

   It could be a faulty drive, a faulty power lead, or an overloaded or faulty
PSU unable to deliver enough power for the motor. Try the drive on another
PSU. If the drive is faulty it can produce regular clicks with just the PSU
connected.
   I have had several problems with faulty connections through M-F cable
adapters, as supplied to tap off power for another device such as a cooling
fan.
 If the drive itself is about to die, cooling the drive or slightly increasing
the 12 volt supply may help while recovering the data.

--
Chris Bell
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk