[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (London)

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 11:25:24 UTC 2008

On 10 Jul 2008, at 10:28, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> Lets say somebody is offering £30K, if I can push it up to £45K
> (seriously? A company meddling so much with a salary offer are  acting
> in bad faith, have no control of their budget or have no idea about
> the market rates for a given set of skills)

A company advertising a position at £30k might very well decide when
faced with a great candidate that they'd rather spend the extra cash
and get someone more senior than they originally planned. There's
nothing wrong with that. I've certainly had positions open where after
seeing a particularly impressive CV have  found ways to fit it into
our budgets because I believe the person would be the best value for
money.

I believe you assumed I was saying I negotiated an _offer_ up 50%, but
that's not what I wrote. I've negotiated offers up substantially too,
and it's not usually because the first offer was made in bad faith but
simply that it is based on assumptions made based on very little
information (CV + an interview), and the negotiation process is where
you figure out what basis an offer was made on and whether you can
convince them their reasons are wrong. Often it's as simple as them
not realizing the level of responsibility you've handled, or that
they've not picked up on a specific skill you've got. Sometimes it's a
matter of clearing up simple misunderstandings.

Frankly, I think a fairly large percentage of people are underpaid
because they are bad at negotiating. As I stated, I've stopped taking
the first offer. I haven't done that for the last 10 years, and I
never will again unless I'm desperate. Being on the hiring side, I've
_never_ given an offer I wouldn't consider raising if the candidate
gives me a good enough justification. That is NOT to say I'll come
back with a better offer to everyone that asks, but I certainly always
ensure I have the budget to negotiate. Obviously the room for
negotiation goes up the more senior a role is and the better the
market is - you won't get that flexibility for all types of roles.

> it is still way below what senior positions in some specific
> industries will offer. So knowing a
> range of the money on offer is extremely helpful.

Of course. I've only rarely applied for a position without a clear
indication. But generally I find that the job description is a more
reliable indicator of what people are actually prepared to pay.

> An "offering" that is too vague is not  an offering, it is a fishing
> expedition and should be treated as such.

I agree that this is usually the case when posting ads to a mailing
list such as this, especially when coming from recruiters, but it
certainly doesn't have to be.

I've worked in several companies where we at some point or other knew
we needed more resources, but didn't want to pin down exact skill-set
or salary range simply because it was considered more important to get
the right kind of person, and the teams were large enough that people
could be reallocated between tasks to accommodate the right candidate.
We were hiring people, not specific skills.

> It doesn't, or should not have. A serious company has a budget,
> investigates the market and offers a salary based on those
> considerations. The candidate's previous salary should have no bearing
> in how much they are willing to pay.

Directly, no. Indirectly, of course it does. If you ask for 40k, and
your current employer pays you 20k, for example, it raises a few big
questions:

If you're worth 40k, why are you currently working for a company only
paying you 20k? Why haven't you left before? It makes the hiring
manager wonder whether there's something they've missed and whether
you're over-representing your skills. But if you're able to pass off
as someone worth 40k in an interview, why have you not managed to
negotiate higher raises? Why have you not moved on before? etc.

The budget and market rates have no relevance. You may be asking for
more than they want to pay or less. That's not what it's about. What
it is about is giving the hiring manager confidence about what _you_
personally are worth, and in any negotiation over money knowing what
someone has previously been prepared to pay for the same thing is yet
another data point to try to establish that value.

All negotiation is about giving the other party confidence that what
you are offering them is worth what they will be giving in return, and
that's what people are looking for when they ask about current salary.

>> Q. Why do you think you're worth so much more?
> A. Because my skills are x,y,z and my expertise industry is this, this
> and that and I am certified in this, this and this.

Q. In which case, why didn't you demonstrate all of this in the
interview? (+ lots of follow up questions about the additional skills
you're claiming)

> Q. And how come you were unable to convince your current manager to
> give you a raise if  it's really what you're worth?
> A. Because the budgetary constraints of my company did not allow him
> to do so, in spite of him wanting to.

Q: So why didn't you leave earlier? Clearly, if you are asking for
this large an increase now, you should have been able to find a job
giving a smaller raise a long time ago.

Besides, this is a big warning sign: A good company will recognize
which employees are worth most, and will be willing to spend money to
keep them, simply because the cost of hiring a new person are enormous
(anything from 10%-30% of yearly salary just in fees to recruiters;
dead time during training; dead time for the manager during training
etc.), and a high turnover of staff is bad for the organization (it
makes it hard to build a cohesive team and nurture a company culture).

I worked at Yahoo! 2003-2005, well before their recent implosion
started, and HR at Yahoo! had a stated policy of offering raises in
the 10% a year range for top performers + larger than average options
grants, while offering _nothing_ to the poorest performers. The
thought was that losing the poorest performers was a net gain because
it would allow hiring better people, and giving the top performers
larger increases _saved money_ because it reduced staff turnover among
the people who performed well.

"Budgetary constraints" is usually a bogus reason for not giving
raises to someone who is worth it: They will eventually lose you, have
to hire someone new at market value, and have to cover all the costs
of recruiting someone. The exception is if the company is doing really
poorly.

If someone told me "budgetary constraints" it would worry me
instantly. What I would be looking for would be for you to explain to
me how and why you have developed so that your skills now
significantly exceed what your current employer needs, and a good
reason why they haven't then promoted you out of the position (such as
there not actually being any openings...). And why you didn't give me
those reasons during the interview.

> Go on, it is not difficult to play this game, I personally always say
> how much I want, not how much I am earning, because in reality such
> information is nobody else's business.

Fair enough, but then you should expect to come across hiring managers
who'll think it means you're hiding something, and who'll be less
likely to extend an offer on that basis, or who'll adjust their offer
down because they're assuming you're asking for a huge raise.

Vidar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk