[Gllug] Is_Talktalk_linux-friendly

Michael G Fletcher michael at ilovemylinux.com
Tue Jul 15 12:55:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Don Williams <don at rose963.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi - I've been told by Talktalk sales people that running Linux is no
> problem in installing/using their web/phone services.
>        Their literature informs me that a Windows-friendly CD is supplied for
> the installation of the necessary software to connect/use the supplied
> wired modem - however, on questioning, I was eventually told that it
> would be "simple" to find the required drivers and install them without
> the use of the CD or Windows. I have my doubts, largely because I had to
> spell "Linux" for them ...
>        I happily run Debian Etch on an HP Pavilion desktop PC and currently
> connect to the web through a Belkin router and a very efficient, yet a
> bit pricey, Demon service.
>        I welcome and appreciate in advance any and all advice on this subject
> from GLLUGers.
>
> Don Williams
> --

I'm going to throw my 2c worth in here as well.  I am a Sky customer, and for
£5/month (plus the BT line rental of £11/month) they have been
brilliant!  Plus I just moved and my line is now getting about 6.5mbps
:-) I regularly download iso's and listen to internet radio for hours
at a time, and have never had any warnings about my 40GB cap. (plus
for £10/month you can get up-to-16mbps and unlimited cap - yes yes,
subject to fair use and all that jazz) - of course you have to be a
sky digital subscriber as well.

I had some troubles with my old line in my previous house, and I must
admit, first line technical support were not so hot (but aren't they
all?) and with a little sweet talking managed to get through to tier 2
support and the guy was really helpful, understood the problems and
was able to smooth it out.  I can say that I have had nothing but
great service from them :-)

<ducks and hides>

--Michael

Michael Fletcher