[Gllug] Slow Processor

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 20:59:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:48:20PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2008, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> >
> > <old_man_hat state="on">Remember the days when a 200 Mhz (thats 0.2 Ghz
> > to you whipper snappers) CPU was FAST!</old_man_hat state="off">
>
> I once told a friend he was silly to splash out all that dosh on a 120MB hard
> drive - he'd never use it all! (back in the DOS days that was, and he still
> ribs me about it!)

I remember when I wondered how I'd ever fill my Vector Workstation
with all the Pascal programs I was saving to it's 5 MB hard disk. And
it could do graphics!!!

I'm joking slightly, but this was the first time I had ever had a hard
disk and it was amazing. Mind you, the first time I saw a test page on
an Apple LaserWriter I took the page home with me, so maybe I'm just a
little sad/crazy.

Oh, and the first time I ever had an account on a multiuser VMS
machine, that was just mind blowing. I still to this day would prefer
if people communicated on multiuser systems writing their own tools
instead of IM networks.

G.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk