[Gllug] shell quoting problem

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Jul 2 10:26:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:08:18AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Silly question possibly;
>
> but does not 'locate' require the database to be up-to-date from a 'cron'
> run or similar ?  - in which case recently created files could get missed !

You are correct.  Locate depends on a database maintained by scheduled
runs of updatedb; depending on the local config, that may be running
daily or only weekly and may not even cover the filesystem you want to
search.  The locate package my not even be installed; any sysadmin who
has ever been responsible for very large filesystems (particularly ones
formatted with, for example, jfs where iterating over a file tree
creates a high system load) has learned how annoying updatedb can be and
will either limit its scope aggressively or simply disable it.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"