[Gllug] Restricting the number of child procs

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 4 19:00:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Frazer Irving <superfraz at clumsyjedi.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm currently having trouble with a Perl script running on a Solaris server.
> The script forks quite a bit and it seems that when the server is under any
> sort of load the fork calls fail, and all manner of hilarity ensues. I don't
> have access to the solaris machine (or any solaris machines) but I was
> hoping to reproduce the problem on a linux box.
>
> I guess what I was hoping for was some kind of jail that I can create and
> run my script in, where I could control the number of child process that can
> be spawned. Is this possible? If someone could point me towards some docs I
> would be very grateful.

You could download Solaris or Open Solaris and test there instead of
using Linux in case your problem is OS related.

If you go to Sun's office in London (in the City end of London Bridge)
you can pick up an Open Solaris DVD, they are scattered all around the
place in their costumer briefieng centre where they normally come
handy as coasters :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk