[Gllug] Problems with Arno firewall script and iptables

william pink will.pink at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:20:28 UTC 2008

Hello,

I need to allow access to port 443 for the https, We are using the Arno
firewall script but I manually added the rules in the terminal with

*iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0/0 --sport 1024:65535 -d $SERVER_IP --dport
443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -s $SERVER_IP --sport 443 -d 0/0 --dport
1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

(from the iptables -L
ACCEPT     tcp  --  ***.***.co.uk        anywhere            tcp spt:https
dpts:1024:65535 state ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  ***.***.co.uk        anywhere            tcp spt:https
dpts:1024:65535 state ESTABLISHED
*
I have also tried

*iptables -A INPUT -p tcp –dport 443 -m state –state NEW -j ACCEPT
*
But when I do a nmap on the host though it shows as it being closed

Not shown: 1711 filtered ports
PORT    STATE  SERVICE
22/tcp  open   ssh
80/tcp  open   http
443/tcp closed https

I can't telnet to port 443 either

It is probably something straight forward that I am missing but I can't work
it out.

As always any help would be most appreciative