[Gllug] Hard Drive Help (Running Linux)

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Jul 9 13:26:42 UTC 2008

On Wed Jul  9 13:13 , Ben Whyte  sent:

>Every now and again when it tries to do something, reading or writing
>the drive starts to click the machine becomes very heavily loaded and in
>the end i have to reboot the machine.  This is happening fairly often now.

Abnormal noises are a clear indication of drive fatigue and impending failure.
You need to replace this drive.  However, you might also try using the
Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology systems (SMART) tools found on
sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/

This will give you more information on the drive and it's current status.
Regardless of what the tools say, I would not use this drive for anything mission
critical.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk