[Gllug] [OT] BT phone connections and ADSL

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 00:31:03 UTC 2008

On Sat 28 Jun, James Roberts wrote:

> There probably is no master socket. My flat has none. If so, then there
> will be a lozenge-shaped BT master termination near a window or door and
>   an internal-type cable running to the socket. Master sockets were
> introduced post-BT (post '83?), Post Office Telecom did not use them AFAIK.

   The old phones with low impedance series-connected-ringer contained the
line termination, and both main and up to five extension phones (actually
the limit was set by the ringers) were supplied with modified connections
when more than one was fitted.
   When they were replaced by phones with high impedance parallel-connected
ringers the old master phone was replaced by a permanent line termination,
and up to four devices with a Ringer Equivalent Number = 1 could be
connected. The line loading with four new phones in parallel was about the
same as a single older phone without extension ringers.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk