[Gllug] Review: Wireless Broadband

Paul Rayner Paul.Rayner at ylemsolutions.com
Wed Jun 18 08:22:26 UTC 2008

On 17 Jun 2008, at 17:11, Justin Perreault wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 14:58 +0100, Paul Rayner wrote:
>> On 17 Jun 2008, at 14:19, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>>> Cannot get an SSH connection over GPRS with Orange - or is that
>>> just me?
>>> Anybody else managed it?
>
>> The settings I use are:
>>
>> APN: orangeinternet
>> username: user
>> password: pass
>
> I figured that the posted username and password are not the literal
> ones
> used and then thought; What if they are?

They are. I guess the mobile companies don't enforce any password
security on connecting to their gateways, but use these as some
phones/software may complain if they're blank. I guess it's the same
as dialup used to be - some companies wanted a username and password
when you connected, others couldn't have cared less what you supplied
as a username and password, but you generally had to type something.

Just to be clear - these are the connection details to get on to the
internet via GPRS, *not* for any ssh connection!

Regards,

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk