[Gllug] UKUUG press release

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Thu Jun 19 18:41:26 UTC 2008

Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:44:59PM +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>> John Winters wrote:
>> > Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_sheathing
>>
>> Or a slightly more concise one (first hit if you Google "copper
>> bottomed")...
>>
>> http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/copper-bottomed.html
>
> Oh dear. Does that mean that no one understood my contrast of a 'copper bottomed'
> standard and 'setting to sea in a sieve' and the 'Jumblies' -- a piece
> on nonsense verse by Edward Lear:
>
> 	http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

When writing press releases, use simple direct language.

Reporters don't have time to understand your allusions.

Spell out what you mean.

Put the most important points as early as possible in the release.

Clever language will usually cause people to fail to understand the
sentence, and then they will stop reading the press release.

Save literary devices for literature.

*gets off soapbox*

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk