[Gllug] SSL Termination and Reverse Proxy

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 25 12:24:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 07:44:12AM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> I'm deploying a pair of machines which will terminate SSL connections
> and then reverse proxy to a pool of webservers.  Hardware will come
> from Dell, so will either be an R300 (single socket, Intel) or an
> SC1435 (two socket AMD).  I'm trying to decide whether, for SSL
> termination purposes, I'd be better going for 2 x quad core opterons
> or a single, much faster intel quad core machine.  So.... 8
> comparatively slow cores, or 4 much faster ones.

If you can wait til next week (and you remind me) I can test anything
you want on my quad-core Intel development machine, versus my two
socket x two core AMD development machine.  I don't have the exact
specs of the machines to hand, but they are both pretty recent
machines (and AMD one is slightly older than a year, I think I got the
Intel one about 4 months ago).  As you say, the AMD single core
performance is rather leisurely compared to the Intel single core.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat